Even though it is summertime, I still love to bake. Ryanna and I bake almost every week.
I am sure Mark Puskar is going to want Chris to use every single one of these recipes!
My sister-in-law shared her Mom’s pineapple upside down cake recipe. It was the first time I had baked one, and it came out very nice. I’ve made it a couple of times.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- In a large frying pan, melt ½ cup butter (one stick).
- Add 1 cup brown sugar, spreading it evenly. Remove from heat.
- Arrange pineapple rings over mixture, add a maraschino cherry in the middle of each of the rings.
- Add whole walnuts (or pecans) around the pineapple. Then sprinkle chopped nuts over pineapple.
- Set aside.
- Beat 3 egg yolks until light.
- Add 1 cup sugar.
- Add 5 tablespoons of pineapple juice.
- Sift together and add to mixture:
- 1 cup sifted cake flour (if you don’t have a sifter, use a colander)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Fold in 3 stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter over pineapples.
- Bake at 365 for 30- 35 minutes. I put foil on the handles of my skillet just in case!
- Allow to cool about 5 minutes before you invert onto pan. It is beautiful and easy!
Ordinarily, I do not use cake flour but since this recipe called for it, I bought some. On the back of the cake flour box was a recipe for carrot cake. This carrot cake is the best carrot cake I have ever had.
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Dash of cardamom (this is something I add to all recipes that require cinnamon; it is not necessary but adds a unique additional flavor)
- ½ ground allspice or ginger
Blend into mixture.
Beat on medium for three minutes.
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- ¾ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, which ever you prefer
In addition to greasing the cake pan(s), line them with parchment or wax paper.
Bake at 350 for 28-32 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 – 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Once the cake cools, frost it.
My Mom used to love to garden and as most gardeners realize, you grow lots of zucchini. She found this recipe that is fairly easy and so good!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups grated, unpeeled zucchini
- 1 tablespoon (not an error, tablespoon is correct) vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon (again, not an error) cinnamon
- Dash of cardamom
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple (including the syrup)
When I grease the pans when baking sweet stuff, instead of also using flour, I line the pan with granulated sugar and sprinkle some sugar on the top of the batter before I bake.
Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
This is the perfect time of year for strawberries. Ryan and Ryanna love them, so we always have them. This cake is so good; I found this recipe almost 40 years ago!
Scarlett O’Hara Strawberry Cake
Clean and cut 1 ½ quarts strawberries, mix with sugar (use your judgement), and set aside.
Mix into a soft dough:
- 4 ⅔ cups Bisquick baking mix
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk
Put in ungreased small baking pan.
Spread 2 tablespoons of butter on dough.
Sprinkle over dough:
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup slivered almonds
Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
When cake is still warm, add a dollop of whipped cream (the recipe calls for adding ½ teaspoon almond extract to your whipped cream or cool whip).
Add the strawberries.
This is so good!
When my sons were little, I had to come up with unique ways for Jim, in particular, to eat or drink. Greg was and still is a good eater! One of their favorites was this drink recipe we found calling for Tang (I didn’t know if they still made Tang, so I looked it up and they do!).
Frosted Orange Crème
Combine all ingredients and mix in a blender:
- ¼ cup Tang Orange Flavor Breakfast Beverage Crystals
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups crushed ice
Mix it up and enjoy!
I hope all of you and yours are doing well and enjoying your summer. It is going so fast; the 4th of July will be here before we know it.
We just registered for The FIVER! Hope you do as well!
Keep safe and healthy!